Saturday, January 28, 2006

Back in the West

Yes - back in WA. I realise it's been a while since my last post, but given how manic the past few weeks have been I believe that I should be excused for not having posted sooner. Of course the manic nature of my last week in Sydney was compounded by the fact that while I was down in Canberra someone broke into my room and stole my computer! A very sad and disappointing state of affairs. When I got home I saw that one of the windows was open and since I never leave windows open I realised pretty quickly that something was amiss. I made a police report and gave them the serial number, but I know that there's very minimal chance that my computer will ever be found.
Apart from making police reports my last week in Sydney was pretty much spent catching up with various people and sorting stuff out. It didn't really hit me until last weekend that I was actually leaving and even now after 4 days in Melbourne and arriving yesterday in Perth I still can't quite believe that I won't be heading back to Sydney and that this is just the beginning of my trip.
Caught up with Kiya and Sachiko in Melbourne and also managed to see Brokeback Mountain which I'd been hanging out to see. It was very hot in Melbourne on Thursday so I convinced Sachiko to see a film to escape the heat. Even when we got out it was still hot, although it was much more humid and Sydney-like. I took the picture as we were walking back to Sachiko's car after dinner in St Kilda. I love the menacing clouds in the late evening light juxtaposed with the old theatre next to Luna Park. Melbourne has such a different feel to Sydney - much slower, less frantic.
Brokeback Mountain. Beautiful film. I read E. Annnie Proulx's novella a few months ago when I first heard about the film and was extremely moved by the simple tale of two people who fall in love, but are unable to openly express their love for each other because of how society views their love. The film is remarkably faithful to the novella and the four main performances are wonderful. I think the thing which struck me the most about this very powerful film was the effect that keeping their love a secret had not just on the two men, but also on their families - how the lies and deception destroyed everything. It's interesting that it's been labelled a story about two gay cowboys because although it's about two men it's not that easy to pigeon-hole it in that way. As many reviewers have pointed out the love these two men feel for each other is something universal. I'd actually like to see it again - my friend Eloise said she'd like to see it so I might see it again this week. Wonderful soundtrack as well!
Am staying at my Mum and Dad's place at the moment and am finally getting round to checking my e-mail. I had hardly any time before I left to check my e-mail - really missed having internet access at home. I'm here in Perth until February 18 - from here it's on to Sri Lanka! Philip (my brother) and Denis arrive on Thursday and later on in the month some old family friends are arriving as well for a friend's wedding, so it's going to be a busy few weeks. Will endeavour to update as often as possible.