Sunday, January 08, 2006

Post Christmas/New Year

After the Christmas and New Year holidays life seems to have returned to some semblance of normality, although saying that the city is still very quiet and it seems that a lot of people are still on holiday. I wish the school I worked for closed over Christmas and New Year. It would mean less money of course, but the three days the school was open the other week were ridiculous.

Yesterday I caught up with Claire as she’s in Sydney for a week to see Alex. She’s actually moving to Sydney in April and of course what am I doing? I’m leaving Sydney. Alex has found them a place close to where I was living in Erskineville as well, so we would have been neighbours. Life is very unpredictable and crazy at times. Still, when I get back to Sydney, it’ll be good to know that Claire will be here as well.

After a week of very strange and unpredictable weather blue skies seem to be the norm again, so later this afternoon, after lunch, I think I’m going to have to go to the beach. I could just swim in the pool here, but recently I seem to have this thing about going to the beach. I would never go during the middle of the day like all those crazy people baking themselves into an early grave in the hot midday sun (amazing the crazy things that humans do in the name of appearance) but once it’s a little cooler… Am looking forward to early mornings swims when I get to Perth. On really hot days the Indian ocean is like glass in the morning and perfect for swimming and now that my parents live quite close to the coast I’ll have to take full advantage. I’ll be in Perth from January 27 to February 18 – pretty much three weeks. I’ll probably spend some of that time in Perth itself with friends, but of course want to spend as much time as possible with my parents and Philip and Denis when they arrive. Still can’t believe that I’ll be in Perth in a few weeks.

Next weekend I’m off to Canberra for my first and possibly final – depending on how long I decide to stay overseas for – visit for 2006. Am looking forward to good food, good company and playing with Sofie.