Saturday, April 22, 2006

Leech Country

Back in Kandy after 4 days in the hill country with Dhanushka and his uncle visiting their relatives. We have to head back to the village today as it's the one year anniversary of Dhanushka's Grandmother's death tomorrow, but we have a couple of hours in Kandy - enough time to quickly check my mail and write something here.
The area where we stayed - Kotmale - is beautiful. Reminded me a lot of Nepal. We did lots of walking and yesterday went to visit the Kotmale Dam and a huge stupa that is being built just above the dam. The only downside to our stay were the leeches. Kotmale is known as leech country throughout Sri Lanka and we saw quite a number of the buggers. They're not dangerous as such, but it's not much fun being bitten - which I was twice!
Yesterday I had my palm read when we went to visit a friend's house - some very intersting precitions - which I'm still trying to digest!
We have a bus to catch at 11.30, which we don't want to miss as it's direct to Dhanushka's village. Will write more next time I'm in Kandy.