Monday, April 17, 2006

New Year

Subha Aluth Avuruddhak - Happy New Year! Have just finished celebrating the New Year with Dhanushka and his family and am now in Kandy on my way to the hills with Dhanushka and his uncle to visit some relatives there. Although the New Year celebrations were a bit subdued this year, according to Dhanushka, because of a not-so- good harvest it was still quite an experience. On New Year's morning at an auspicious time Dhaunshka's mother - along with basically everyone else in the country! - cooked kiribath - rice cooked in coconut milk. Then at a second auspicious time we ate the kiribath and the younger members of the family payed their respect to their elders. After that we spent the rest of the day and the following day visiting people and basically eating and drinking. By the end of the two days I was completely stuffed and feel like I never want to see another sweet in my life! It's considered rude to refuse, so even when I felt like I couldn't eat another thing I still had to take something.
The day before New Year, which happened to be a poya (full moon) day, I went with Dhanushka and his family to a well-known temple 40km from the village. There were 17 of us in the van, so it was a real family trip. After visiting the temple we then climbed through the forest to the top of the hill behind the temple from where there were stunning views over the surrounding countryside. It was quite a climb and we were all exhausted by the time we got to the top - especially given the heat. For lunch (which we brought with us - rice and curry!) we visited Dhanushka's Grandmother's family and on the way home we stopped by one of the many irrigation canals for a swim. It was quite an experience - am not sure if I've ever been on a family trip like it!
I have about one more month here in Sri Lanka and although it seems like a long time I'm sure the time will pass very quickly. About a week before I leave it's Wesak, which commemorates the birth, enlightenment and death of the Lord Buddha. Dhanushka and I are planning to go with Dhanushka's Grandmother to Anuradhapura to spend Wesak at the Sri Mahabodhi - the bodhi tree which is a cutting of the tree which the Lord Buddha attained enlightenment under. We have a few more day-trips planned as well, so lots to keep us busy!

Thought it was about time I posted a picture of myself. This one is of me and Dhanushka outside the Temple of the Tooth in Kandy.