Final Weeks
Back in Kandy - possibly for the last time before I leave. Tomorrow we're possibly heading back to Kotmale, but we haven't spoken to Dhanushka's relatives, so we're not sure yet.
The last week has been really hot and for two days there was no electricity in the village, which meant no fans and having to use a bucket to get water from the well. Most houses in the village use a well for water and when there's no electricity it means that there's no pump to pump water from the well into the tank. I love washing outside and actually having a wash by the tank has become one of my favourite activities - particularly in the afternoon once it starts to get a little cooler - but having to use a bucket to get water from the well takes the fun out of it!
Dhanushka's mother has started to teach me how to cook - when I get back I need to write everything down in an exercise book, so that I can cook Sri Lankan food when I get to the UK. I'm really going to miss the food when I leave. Some of it I'll be able to make in the UK, but things like string hoppers are difficult and time-consuming to make - most people buy them.
Next week is Wesak - which commemorates the birth, enlightenment and death of the Buddha. We're still planning on going to Anuradhapura to the sacred bodhi tree, but with the terrorist attacks of the past few weeks we're not really sure if it's safe to go. Most of the attacks have been against military and police targets, but who knows what will happen. It's been hard getting information about what's actually going on as my Sinhala is not really up to following the news and although I don't thing Sri Lanka is about to return to the civil war which paralysed the country for so long things aren't looking great. Where I am is very safe.
Have been trying to resize a picture without much luck - not sure why. Will have to post this without a picture - my apologies.
The last week has been really hot and for two days there was no electricity in the village, which meant no fans and having to use a bucket to get water from the well. Most houses in the village use a well for water and when there's no electricity it means that there's no pump to pump water from the well into the tank. I love washing outside and actually having a wash by the tank has become one of my favourite activities - particularly in the afternoon once it starts to get a little cooler - but having to use a bucket to get water from the well takes the fun out of it!
Dhanushka's mother has started to teach me how to cook - when I get back I need to write everything down in an exercise book, so that I can cook Sri Lankan food when I get to the UK. I'm really going to miss the food when I leave. Some of it I'll be able to make in the UK, but things like string hoppers are difficult and time-consuming to make - most people buy them.
Next week is Wesak - which commemorates the birth, enlightenment and death of the Buddha. We're still planning on going to Anuradhapura to the sacred bodhi tree, but with the terrorist attacks of the past few weeks we're not really sure if it's safe to go. Most of the attacks have been against military and police targets, but who knows what will happen. It's been hard getting information about what's actually going on as my Sinhala is not really up to following the news and although I don't thing Sri Lanka is about to return to the civil war which paralysed the country for so long things aren't looking great. Where I am is very safe.
Have been trying to resize a picture without much luck - not sure why. Will have to post this without a picture - my apologies.

<< Home