Saturday, May 06, 2006

Kithul Peni

Am unexpectedly back in Kandy. Dhanushka and I went back to Kotmale to visit his relatives again and to give them copies of the photos I'd taken. From there we were going to head to Haputale, somewhere we both really love, but the bus that would have taken us to the railway staion at Hatton to catch a train to Haputale was late, so we decided not to go as we would have missed the train and didn't feel like waiting all day in Hatton for the next train. So, after saying goodbye to everyone yesterday morning, we ended up staying another night and are heading back to the village today. It's probably a good thing that we're heading back today actually as the next week is going to be quite busy and after Wesak I only have a few days before I have to head to Colombo for my flight on the 19th.

It was wonderful being in Kotmale again - it's so much cooler there and this time there were no leeches as there's been very little rain recently. We spent most of the time eating and chatting - pretty much what I do most of the time in Sri Lanka. This time we bought a bottle of kithul pani - a sweet syrup from the kithul palm - and some large bananas - which only seem to be found in the hill country - so Dhanushka's family will be happy - particularly his mother who has a real sweet tooth.

Have to catch the bus in an hour, so had better go. Next - and last from Sri Lanka - update from Colombo.