Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Sunita's Cookery School

My last post from Sri Lanka as I'm flying out on Friday afternoon and will be in the UK on Friday evenning. It was very sad saying goodbye to everyone in Dhanushka's village. I spent two days visiting everyone I knew and by the end of the two days was completely exhausted (and stuffed due to all the food I ate!) Arrived in Colombo yesterday and have today and tomorrow to do a little bit of shopping before I leave.

The last week was pretty full on. I spent 5 days with Dhanushka's mother learning how to cook Sinhalese food and on Saturday I obserbed 8 precepts at the local temple for Wesak, which meant I was at the temple from 6 in the morning until 10 in the evening with only a short break to have a wash and have something to eat. Observing the 8 precepts with about 100 other people (including quite a few children) was quite an experience - even though I had no idea what was going on most of the time because of the language barrier. Dhanushka's uncle was also observing 8 precepts and he looked after me. In the evening there was a special ceremony and after that Dhanushka and some of his friends sang devotional songs. It was quite beautiful and I'm glad I was here to experience it.

It's going to be very hard saying goodbye to Dhanushka. I have so much to thank him for and I can see us both being very emotional at the airport. My 3 months here have been wonderful - am very sad to leave.