Saturday, January 06, 2007

The Beating Heart

Back in the beating Heart of the Nation - Canberra! Arrived yesterday afternoon and am heading back to Sydney tomorrow evening - so basically this is a flying visit before I head back to Sri Lanka. We're having a very lazy day. We were thinking about going to a museum today, but we were so slow getting organised that in the end we decided to go tomorrow.

Am feeling a lot better and the results of the blood tests were fine. However, mainly because of being sick, but also because I don't have that much time left before I leave, I decided at the beginning of the week that I didn't want to do any more work. The extra money would have come in handy, but my health is obviously much more important. My boss was really good about it and they managed to find someone else fairly easily, so everyone is happy. I worked on Tuesday, even though I was still feeling run-down, but only because I knew how difficult it would be to get someone in to fill in for me at such short notice - particularly after New Year.

Wednesday I have a lovely day with Suzanne and Luca. I took my spices with me and cooked up another veritable feast, which Suzanne much appreciated. I cooked for Kirsten and Jon last night as well and already have tonight's menu prepared.

I haven't heard from the British Council since Christmas, so am beginning to get a little worried. I'm leaving on the 15th so need to make sure I have my visa. Hopefully someone will be in touch with me this week...

Yesterday morning I managed to make it down to Maroubra for a swim and if the weather is ok this week I'm planning on trying to get a swim in every day. I have quite a lot on - am not sure how I'm going to fit everything in! Cath is back from South Africa on Sunday evening and already I have a few plans for next weekend. Busy, busy.

The photo is one I took from the RiverCat on Thursday afternoon. I was over in Leichhardt having my teeth checked out (had to have a filling replaced) so instead of catching a bus back into the city I decided to head to the nearest ferry wharf and take the ferry into the city - a much more pleasant way to travel.