Thursday, November 23, 2006

Village Visit

Have just confirmed with Dhanushka that he's not going to go to his end of course party on Sunday, so Saturday morning we're going to head to his village to see his family. I'm not sure that I believe him 100% and I have a feeling that he might tell me tomorrow that he wants to stay, but I'm happy to go on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to seeing his family again - going back to his village is like going home. I also don't really have much time left as I'm leaving on the evening of December 4, so it's better if we go on Saturday.

I haven't really been up to much since my last post. My day pretty much consists of eating apart from forays into the town to check my e-mail. It's only a 20-minute walk into the town, but it's coming back that's the hard part as it's all uphill - not very pleasant when it's hot! I'm glad I decided to stay here with Dhanushka though. He wanted me to stay in a guesthouse, but with him so busy I'm happier staying with a family. The other bonus of course is staying with a family I get to have delicious home-cooked food (always thinking of my stomach). When I go into town I usually eat at this Tamil place that I like, but most of my meals I take here. I've even added a few new recipes too my famous Sri Lankan cookery book - including a delicios mango curry.

Haven't heard anything from the British Coucil yet, but when I looked at the website today I discovered that the closing date for applications has been put back until the 29th. Don't know why and don't know what that means, but it looks like I'm not going to hear anything from them until after I get back to Australia. I still haven't decided if I actually want the job, but I'll work that one out once I hear if they want me or not!!! I was thinking today though that working here would actually be a good way of saving some money. I know that sounds strange, but as a teacher at the British Council I'd be very well paid in Sri Lankan terms and because the cost of living is so low I should be able to save quite a bit. I'd get quite a lot of holidays as well and would be able to visit India again.

Yesterday afternoon was the first afternoon that it hasn't rained so I walked up to the top of the hill behind where I'm staying, where there are amazing views of the town. Although the town itself can be crowded and has huge traffic problems the setting, nestled in amongst the hills, is superb. If I do get a job with the British Council I'd definitely like to work here in Kandy.

If (ha ha) we go to Dhanushka's village as planned on Saturday we'll probably be there until the end of the week. Dhanushka wants to visit a place called Haputale that we spent some time on one of our trips when I was here earlier in the year, but I don't think we'll have time. I can't see his family being very happy if we only stayed for a few days!!! I did think about trying to stay a little longer, but unfortunately all the flights from KL to Sydney are fully-booked.

Time to put some long pants on - have just noticed that the mosquitoes are out in force - that time of the evening.