A Weekend in the Hills
Back in Kandy after a somewhat strange and crazy weekend. One of Dhanushka's friends invited us to visit his family's tea estate and when Dhanushka first suggested that we go I imagined staying in some old colonial bungalow up in the hill country near Nuwara Eliya. It wasn't at all like that though and I didn't even end up seeing the tea estate as I chose not to go with Dhanishka and his friend because of the heavy rain and my dislike of leeches - wisely as it turns out as they got completely lost and got back well after it had got dark, covered in leeches. It turns out that Dhanushka's friend's family have extended family in the hills east of Kandy and that's where we ended up staying. As always everyone was very kind to me, but after the while the constant kindness can become a bit much - to the point where it becomes stifling. As the guest I'm never allowed to do anything, which makes me feel like a child at times. The other thing about being the guest is that everyone is always trying to get me to eat something or have some tea and it's very difficult to refuse. Yesterday all we seemed to do was eat and by the time we got back to Kandy I actually felt a bit sick from eating too much. The food is great, but there's only so much I can fit into my stomach!On Friday I sent my application to the British Council. I can't say I enjoyed trying to address the various competencies that were part of the application process. I'd much rather explain to someone why I'm suitable for the job than have to explain in words. The closing date for applications is today, so hopefully I'll hear something soon. The two positions that are available (one in Colombo and one here in Kandy) are from January 15, so I can't see the process being too drawn out. Am also hoping that because of the perception overseas that the situation in Sri Lanka is not so great that there won't be too many applicants. Saying that I haven't really decided if working here is what I really want. Have been having a bit of a crisis since I got here and am very undecided about things.
Dhanushka has to work at some hotel tonight as part of his course, which I'm not too happy about. I feel like I don't get to see him, which was the whole point in me coming back. I realise that the practical training is an essential part of his course, but at the same time I wish he'd told me that he was going to be busy and I could have stayed in Europe for a few weeks longer. I don't really feel like going off somewhere on my own - particularly as I've been to most places now (although not the north, unfortunately). Dhanushka's course finishes on Thursday though, so he'll be free after that. We won't get to have too much time to ourselves though as we have to visit his family and I leave on December 5, which is that far off.
Am being very lazy today. The rain seems to have stopped though, so I might wander into town after lunch. Will see how I feel though as yesterday I managed to give myself mild concussion when I hit my head against the door frame when going to the toilet. Wasn't watching where I was going!!!

<< Home