Monday, December 18, 2006

Waiting for the Bus

In Canberra waiting for the bus back to Sydney. There’s no direct bus from Cooma to Sydney, so I’ve had a 2-hour wait here. It’s actually strange being here and not visiting Kirsten, Jon and Sofie, but they’re down in Melbourne, visiting family for Christmas.

I eventually made it down to Cooma 3 hours late on Friday. As it turns out there were 2 spare seats on the bus, so I didn’t end up having to sit next to the driver. The 3 o’clock bus from Sydney on a Friday afternoon is a nightmare though because of the traffic heading out of Sydney.

Judith met me in Canberra and by 8 I was in Cooma, tucking into Thai take-away with her and Ben. They’re living about 7km out of Cooma in a very quiet spot surrounded by hills. It’s extremely dry because of the continuing drought (luckily they’re on town water) but it’s still beautiful countryside. Every morning and evening there are kangaroos grazing around the house!

After a trip into town on Saturday to do some shopping (I was in charge of cooking for the weekend!) we spent most of the day at home relaxing. I’m feeling a bit tired (recurrence of the dreaded glandular fever?) so it was nice not to do have to do anything. Saturday evening I cooked up another of my Sri Lankan feasts, which was, as always, well received. We were going to watch a DVD, but we were all so stuffed and so tired that we ended up just crashing out.

Yesterday in the afternoon we went for a drive down to Jindabyne and the Snowys. Like Cooma and Canberra, the area around Jindabyne was very dry, but as we drove up into the Snowys it got a little bit greener. I’d love to spend more time down there and do some walking. When we got back I prepared another feast. After the excess of food on Saturday evening I wisely decided to be a little less ambitious and after dinner we watched one of the DVDs I bought in Colombo – a Bollywood film ‘Paheli’. It’s a great film, beautifully filmed, with a great story – definitely one to check out. We had problems watching it on the DVD player, so ended up watching in to the computer in Ben’s room – kind of felt like a slumber party!!!

Work again tomorrow! I actually don’t feel like going in, but I think I’ll be ok. I’m supposed to be working next week, but I think I’m going to tell them that I’m not up to it. When I start feeling tired like this I have to be very careful not to overdo it.

Time to head over to the bus station. I was hoping that I’d be able to get wi-fi here, but no such luck. Damn people who security enable their wi-fi networks!!!