Monday, January 15, 2007

KLIA

Have just arrived in KL and now have a 5-hour wait. Although I got some sleep on the flight I'm still feeling quite tired and am thinking that I might have to have a nap on the very comfortable looking couch next to where I'm sitting. It's pretty quite at the moment (not surprising given that it's ony 4.30am!) so I don't think anyone will mind.

It's been quite a week since I got back from Canberra. Had lots of problems getting my visa and only ended up getting my passport back yesterday morning - good thing I wasn't flying out until late evening. Apparently the person who needed to authorise my entry was on holiday and of course no-one else could give the authorisation. Last Thursday I was assured by the HR person at the British Council that the consulate in Sydney had received the necessary documentation, but when I went in on Friday morning they maintained that they hadn't received anything. I shot off a quick e-mail to the British Council explaining the situation and at 2pm on Friday I had a phone call to let me know that they'd been in touch with the consulate and that they'd agreed to make and exception and issue me with a visa. So at 2.30pm I had to jump on a bus back into the city to take in my passport!

It was quite sad leaving Sydney and saying goodbye to all my friends again. Despite being sick I really enjoyed being back in Sydney. I'm sure the next 2 years will be great, but now that I'm on my way to Sri Lanka I'm feeling quite nervous and wondering what the hell I've got myself into - especially as I have no idea what's happening when I arrive. I know that someone will be at the airport to meet me, but I don't know if I'll be heading straight up to Kandy or staying in Colombo for a few days.

Looks like I'll be having my first visitor in a couple of week. Kiya sent me an e-mail yesterday saying that she needs to escape from her desert posting in the Emirates. Am looking forward to hopefully having lots of visitors over the next couple of years.

OK - time for that nap - before it gets too busy.