Holidays
Have just finished watching United 93, one of the most harrowing, yet at the same time engrossing, films I've ever seen. When I saw it at the video place yesterday I was reluctant to get it out, but after reading David and Margaret's review of it I decided to get it out today. What was most disturbing about it was knowing what happens at the end - knowing that the people on board, just like the people on board the 3 other flights that were hijacked on that day in September, 7 years ago, were doomed. I was actually on a flight back to Perth from Nepal on September 11 and watching this I really felt for those people. What I don't understand is what was going on inside the minds of the 4 men who hijacked the plane. I just don't get how people can have such a lack of humanity. I don't think it's something I'll ever understand.
As well as being Medin Poya, which commemorates the visit of the Lord Buddha to his home to preach to his father, King Suddhodana, today is also Good Friday and on my way to work this morning I gathered that Hindus were also celebrating today as the main road into town was closed for some procession. Yesterday was the Holy Prophet's Birthday as well. Unfortunately the teaching centre is open over most holidays, so I was at work today. I get plenty of time off between terms though, so I can't really complain.
Yesterday I had another assessed lesson - only one more to go now. There are still lots of things I need to work on, but I'm pretty happy overall with how things went. Tomorrow I have to write up a post-lesson evaluation then have to start working on the course planning assignment as it need fixing up. Only a couple of more months and it'll all be over.
Am thinking that I might go to Japan in July. I have 3 weeks off and last night while speaking to Takako I suddenly thought that maybe it's about time I visited my friends in Japan again. It was quite funny speaking to Takako because I kept using Sinhala. My Sinhala isn't that great, but because I hear it all the time there are certain expressions that come out without me even thinking. I really need to write to my aunt and uncle, but my Japanese has become so bad that I don't know where to start.
I was up pretty late last night looking at flights to Japan, so I think I should have an early one tonight. I don't have to work tomorrow, but am sure I'll be up early as always. If it's fine in the morning I might go for a swim before I sit down to look at this damned assignment...
As well as being Medin Poya, which commemorates the visit of the Lord Buddha to his home to preach to his father, King Suddhodana, today is also Good Friday and on my way to work this morning I gathered that Hindus were also celebrating today as the main road into town was closed for some procession. Yesterday was the Holy Prophet's Birthday as well. Unfortunately the teaching centre is open over most holidays, so I was at work today. I get plenty of time off between terms though, so I can't really complain.
Yesterday I had another assessed lesson - only one more to go now. There are still lots of things I need to work on, but I'm pretty happy overall with how things went. Tomorrow I have to write up a post-lesson evaluation then have to start working on the course planning assignment as it need fixing up. Only a couple of more months and it'll all be over.
Am thinking that I might go to Japan in July. I have 3 weeks off and last night while speaking to Takako I suddenly thought that maybe it's about time I visited my friends in Japan again. It was quite funny speaking to Takako because I kept using Sinhala. My Sinhala isn't that great, but because I hear it all the time there are certain expressions that come out without me even thinking. I really need to write to my aunt and uncle, but my Japanese has become so bad that I don't know where to start.
I was up pretty late last night looking at flights to Japan, so I think I should have an early one tonight. I don't have to work tomorrow, but am sure I'll be up early as always. If it's fine in the morning I might go for a swim before I sit down to look at this damned assignment...

<< Home