Love & Peace
Have just discovered that I have 2 rats in the house. I was talking to Pamela on the phone when I noticed something out of the corner of my eye on the staircase - something with a tail. A few minutes later I saw another one scurrying across the landing into my room, so it's obvious that I have a bit of a problem. I've done some investigating and think they're hiding out in a cupboard in the room where Dhanushka used to keep his stuff, so I've locked the door and am hoping that keeping them quarantined, so to speak, will encourage them to leave. I don't really want to kill them, but desperate times might call for desperate measures...It's been quite a week - am counting the days until I go on holiday now! On Tuesday I had to renew my car insurance and registration. Renewing the insurance was easy, but man alive every time I go into the Divisional Secretariat I want to scream. Despite having the papers stating that I'm the owner of the car, they insisted that I needed some 'loose leaf' from the secretariat where the car was previously registered. I had no idea what they were talking about, but eventually - after me telling them how ridiculous the whole procedure was - they said that they would contact the secretariat in Hingurakgoda and get them to fax the document they wanted. Government offices in Sri Lanka are notorious for the stifling levels of bureaucracy and I can understand why people who can afford it pay someone to deal with the paperwork and the inane amounts of waiting around. Anyway, I eventually managed to get everything sorted out.
On Tuesday I had planned to head into town early as there are quite a few things I need to get done before I head to Japan. However, just as I was about to leave I discovered that the tap on the pipe up to the water tank was leaking, so I ended up having to wait around for an hour and a half for the owner's father to come out with a plumber to fix it. It was tempting just to leave it, but of course then I would have come back to some huge bill and possibly water everywhere.
After much weighing up the pros and cons I've decided to take the place where one of my colleagues, Anna, is currently living. I could have looked at other places, but even with a small increase in the rent, I think I'm getting a real bargain - particularly for a house in this part of Kandy. I like the place and it has a balcony where I can sit and watch the sunset. The owners are coming up to Kandy on Saturday, so I'm going to sign the papers before I leave for Japan, but won't actually be moving in until mid-August, which is perfect. The owners have agreed to re-paint some of the rooms and do some minor reapairs, so it gives them time to do those kind of things. It also means I don't have to move as soon as I get back from Japan.
Have been trying to go for a walk every evening - usually down to the river. I spend way too much time indoors, so it's good to get out and get some exercise. Took some photos of the river the other day from the footbridge.
I suppose I should get some sleep - was intending on having an early night, but it's already nearly 10.30! Peace & Love!!!

<< Home