Temple Tour

Mr. Aluthgamage is at it again this evening, although thankfully the speeches have been replaced with music, which is more bearable. He doesn't seem to be actually there most of the time as the speeches are generally recordings. In one of his speeches he keeps going on about the airport and something about bags!
I was thinking about going to a meditation centre just outside of Kandy this weekend, but when I called to check if it was possible to stay for a couple of nights I was told that because of a retreat going on until the 7th that there was no accommodation available at the moment. So, yesterday morning I decided to visit three 14th century temples not far from Kandy. I actually visited all three temples when I first came to Sri Lanka on holiday in 2005, but having my own transport made it a lot easier as getting to the temples by bus is a long and tiring journey, even though none of the temples is that far from Kandy. I set off quite early as it's very hot here at the moment, so was back by 10.30. Made for an interesting morning out.
My car is sitting on the lawn at the moment. I left it there when I got back from the pool this morning as I wanted to wash it - which I did later in the afternoon. When I went to put it back in the garage though I discovered that it wouldn't start and that some problem with the brake lights seems to have drained the battery. I need to have it jump started, but will have to do that tomorrow afternoon when I get back from work. Wasn't much I could do about it today as it was getting quite late when I realised that there was a problem.
Yesterday evening I started watching Schindler's List, which I borrowed from the library at work. It came up in one of my classes a few weeks ago as there was an article about the making of the film in the coursebook, so when I came across it in the library I decided to watch it. It's a bit over-dramatic times and I'm not sure about how much of the film is based on what actually happened, but watching it got me thinking about the horror of what happened during World War II. It's impossible to imagine 6 million people being exterminated like that and impossible to comprehend how people could be so inhuman. The frightening this is of course that atrocities continue to take place around the world - including here in Sri Lanka.
I was thinking about going to a meditation centre just outside of Kandy this weekend, but when I called to check if it was possible to stay for a couple of nights I was told that because of a retreat going on until the 7th that there was no accommodation available at the moment. So, yesterday morning I decided to visit three 14th century temples not far from Kandy. I actually visited all three temples when I first came to Sri Lanka on holiday in 2005, but having my own transport made it a lot easier as getting to the temples by bus is a long and tiring journey, even though none of the temples is that far from Kandy. I set off quite early as it's very hot here at the moment, so was back by 10.30. Made for an interesting morning out.
My car is sitting on the lawn at the moment. I left it there when I got back from the pool this morning as I wanted to wash it - which I did later in the afternoon. When I went to put it back in the garage though I discovered that it wouldn't start and that some problem with the brake lights seems to have drained the battery. I need to have it jump started, but will have to do that tomorrow afternoon when I get back from work. Wasn't much I could do about it today as it was getting quite late when I realised that there was a problem.
Yesterday evening I started watching Schindler's List, which I borrowed from the library at work. It came up in one of my classes a few weeks ago as there was an article about the making of the film in the coursebook, so when I came across it in the library I decided to watch it. It's a bit over-dramatic times and I'm not sure about how much of the film is based on what actually happened, but watching it got me thinking about the horror of what happened during World War II. It's impossible to imagine 6 million people being exterminated like that and impossible to comprehend how people could be so inhuman. The frightening this is of course that atrocities continue to take place around the world - including here in Sri Lanka.

<< Home