Big Brother
No, I'm not referring to the inane crap that passes for television. Am referring to the power that governments have now in this era of terrorism. Yesterday while waiting for my train to Oxford I decided to take a few photos (one of which - subversively perhaps - I've posted) of the Brunel designed Paddington station. After the third photo I was approached by a police officer who asked me if I'd taken any photographs, which of course I had. He then proceeded to detain and question me under the Terroist Act, which involved giving details about myself and having my bag searched. The officer was very friendly and because the train was delayed I luckily didn't miss my train, but I was quite shocked that he had stopped me, given that a station is a public place and that there were no signs indicating that photography was prohibited. I can understand that the police are trying to prevent another attack, but it worries me that under the Terroist Act anyone can be stopped and questioned - without any evidence. It also worries me that such powers could be used to target people from particular ethinc backgrounds or religions. We live in frightening times!!!I had a great day in Oxford, though. Spent most of the day with Sophie and Grace, but also managed to catch up with Amar, who has moved back to the UK from Perth. I spent most of today catching up with friends as well. Met up with an old friend from Japan, Erica, and got to meet her little boy and in the evening had tea with Emma, who I worked with in Oxford over the summer. Am going to visit Erica again tomorrow (my flight isn't until 2125) - so am having a pretty low-key visit to London.
Still can't quite believe that I'm off tomorrow. I spoke to Dhanushka yesterday and he's - obviously - very excited about seeing me again. Am looking forward to looking out for him amongst the crowds at the airport.
Congratulations are in order. Today Qurban became an Australian citizen - despite the Howard government's attempts to paint him and other refugees as unworthy of being allowed to remain in Australia. As far as I'm concerned Qurban has always been a more worthy citizen of Australia than John Howard and his cronies will ever be!

<< Home