Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Room With a View

It’s hard to believe that it’s only been 1 week since I arrived in Sri Lanka. So much has happened since then - and so quickly!

I arrived in Kandy last Thursday – driven up from Colombo by my own personal driver (talk about travelling in style!) The British Council were actually providing me with accommodation for a couple of weeks, but on Thursday afternoon Dhanushka took me to see a house he’d seen and even though I hadn’t seen any other places we decided take it and we moved in on Saturday! Renting an actual house is a little more expensive than I anticipated, but Dhanushka and I are happier having our own place and anyway I’m on a good deal here, so I may as well live it up a little.

The house has three bedrooms (guests are very welcome, although we’re already booked up for 2 weeks from this coming Saturday as Kiya is arriving from the UAE), a formal living room, a not-so-formal living area (where I’m sitting at the moment), a big kitchen and a room for a servant should we decide that we can’t cope without one! The reason we both wanted the house though is the view. From most of the rooms there are uninterrupted views of the Mahaveli River and the hills surrounding Kandy. I could sit here all day looking at the view – the sunsets are particularly stunning. It’s a little bit out of the way, but it’s only a 35 minute walk into town, so I can’t really complain.

Our first visitors left this afternoon. Dhanushka’s family decided to come and visit us – his Mum, Dad, Grandmother, Grandfather, younger brother and one of his cousins – and were very impressed with the place. It was complete chaos with everyone here, but it was only for one night. This morning I went to the Tooth Temple with everyone, while Dhanushka prepared something for lunch. He’s a very good cook, so I’m on to a good thing!!!

Had my first day at work on Sunday – a lovely Intermediate class. It’s been a steep learning curve, but that’s to be expected. My weekend is Monday and Tuesday as there are lots of classes on Saturdays and Sundays. Although it does mean that Dhanushka and I don’t have any full days together that could change next term and some teachers have Sunday and Monday off. The other teachers and staff members have been great though and I have my first holidays at the beginning of April, so I think everything’s going to be just fine. I’m probably going to stay in Sri Lanka in April as it’s the Sri Lankan New Year and we should really spend it this year with Dhanushka’s family. Also there’s talk of me being trained as an IELTS examiner, which is very well paid apparently!!!

Dhanushka is working tonight, so it’s just me and k.d. lang! I have an early start tomorrow, so I’m planning on having an early night. Luckily I have a long break in the middle of the day, so I have time to plan for my second class then – my first young learner class!!!