Saturday, August 16, 2008

Moving On

I still can't quite believe that in a couple of days I'll be moving out of this house. The big move is actually on Monday, so as the British Council is closed for 3 days I'm trying to spend as much time as possible here - enjoying the views.

It's actually nice to spend a few days at home as I've been very busy since I got back from Japan. At one point I did think about goin away, but what I actually need is a few days to re-group.

Today is the last evening of the Perahera, so I went into town early this morning to visit the Temple as no doubt all of the roads will be closed off by now. The temple is always busy on a poya day, but today it was particularly busy given that a lot of people will be coming into Kandy to see the Perahera.

I ended up seeing the Perahera on Tuesday with Kiya. We managed to get seats in front of the Queen's Hotel near the lake - one of the best places to be. Amazingly we also managed to get the seats for a very reasonable price - perhaps because I spoke in Sinhala. I don't think Maggie was all that impressed with the Perahera when she went on Monday evening, but I really enjoyed it, even though I've seen the Perahera a number of times now. It's such an amazing spectacle.

Kiya left on Thursday morning, so it's just me, Maggie and the fish now. It was great having Kiya around. It's a real pity that there are no jobs going here as I think Kiya would enjoy living and working here. Life in Abu Dhabi doesn't sound like much fun.

Haven't started packing yet, but as most of Maggie's stuff is still in boxes anyway I don't think the move will be too stressful. Just a matter of putting all my stuff in boxes and taking them in the car to the new place. It's not very far, so I don't think it'll take too long.

Have attached a picture I took from World's End in Horton Plains National Park, which Kiya and I visited the other week when we went up to the Hill Country. When I went with Maggie in April the mist came in just as we got to World's End, so we didn't see anything. On really clear days it's possible to see all the way to the south coast apparently.

My next post will be from Rosemund Place (somehow I manage to end up living on very British sounding streets). Until then.