Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Keeping In Touch

It's been pouring all weekend. Thankfully I haven't needed to leave the house apart from a follow-up visit to the dentist this evening, so I've managed to stay dry. The roads this evening were a nightmare. I hate driving at night here and driving at night when it's pouring with rain is not at all fun! As the roads aren't maintained very well, every time there's a downpour huge potholes appear within hours. Then there's the mad drivers and zoned out pedestrians to deal with...

Maggie is down in Colombo, so I've had the house to myself this weekend. I like being at home alone and even though I haven't seen anyone, I've actually had quite a communicative weekend as I talked to Philip this afternoon to wish him Happy Birthday and yesterday spoke to my Grandma and my Mum and Dad. Have been writing lots of long overdue e-mails as well.

Philip and Denis have managed to sell their house - so it looks like they'll be moving back to Bruxelles in the New Year. It only took them 2 weeks, so they've done very well. They also managed to get their asking price, which is even better. They don't actually know where they're going to live in Bruxelles yet - Philip said that they've been talking about buying somewhere with some friends.

I've also been thinking lately that perhaps I should buy somewhere in Sydney. With a substantial deposit I won't have to take out too big a loan and assuming I can rent the place out without too many problems, I reckon I should be able to pay off the loan quite quickly. I don't know what the tax implications are though and am still a little wary of having property in Australia when I'm not living there. Will see. The rupee is still very strong though, so I should take advatange of the fact that I'm able to save lots at the moment.

Am thinking about watching the Cohen brothers No Country for Old Men this evening. I saw it in Perth with Eloise at the beginning of the year, but would like to see it again as there are some things I didn't get. I was actually going to watch it last night, but I ended up chatting to a friend in the Czech Republic and by the time we finished chatting it was quite late.

I was looking at some old photos today, so have decided to post one of me that was taken a couple of years ago at Bronte in Sydney. If my memory serves me correctly I was there with Anina and Mia - met them after work one afternoon. I do miss Sydney at times.