Haiku
ものいはず客と亭主と白菊と
They spoke no word.
The visitor, the host,
And the white chrysanthemum.
Ryota
Have just got back from Ewen and Padma's where we spent the afternoon eating, laughing, wagging fingers and reading haiku. I particularly liked this haiku because of the reference to the white chrysanthemum - as if one expected the chrysanthemum to say something.
Yesterday I was examining (after a much-welcome 2-week break) so it was great to spend the morning at home before heading over to Ewen and Padma's.The rain has finally stopped, so I spent most of the morning on the balcony enjoying the warm rays of the morning sun. The balcony at the old place was too narrow to sit out on, so having the wide balcony here is a real pleasure. Maggie likes to sleep in, so I had the place to myself this morning, which suits me just fine.
Managed to finally get to pool yesterday. I wanted to go on Sunday afternoon, but for some reason decided not to in the end and came straight home - possibly because it looked like it was going to rain. After what seems like endless rainy days it was wonderful to see the sun again yesterday - like most places Kandy is really grey when it rains.
It now looks like the protests in Bangkok have come to an end, so hopefully by the time I leave in 3 weeks things will be back to normal. It's hard to believe that a few thousand protestors could manage to close down a major international airport. It must have been complete chaos.
Last week I had some sad news. Eloise contacted me to let me know that Joe and Dirima's (Eloise's brother and sister-in-law) little boy Louis died after a major heart operation. Joe and Dirima knew before he was born that there were problems, but the doctors were extremely positive about the chances of him getting through the operation. Apparently the actual operation went well, but later in the evening his heart started to fail and in the end he couldn't be revived. My heart goes out to Joe and Dirima - they must be devestated. Death is always hard to comes to term with, but when it's a small child... Shame.
Back to work tomorrow. Thankfully the end of the term is approaching quickly - am so looking forward to a well-deserved long break!
They spoke no word.
The visitor, the host,
And the white chrysanthemum.
Ryota
Have just got back from Ewen and Padma's where we spent the afternoon eating, laughing, wagging fingers and reading haiku. I particularly liked this haiku because of the reference to the white chrysanthemum - as if one expected the chrysanthemum to say something.
Yesterday I was examining (after a much-welcome 2-week break) so it was great to spend the morning at home before heading over to Ewen and Padma's.The rain has finally stopped, so I spent most of the morning on the balcony enjoying the warm rays of the morning sun. The balcony at the old place was too narrow to sit out on, so having the wide balcony here is a real pleasure. Maggie likes to sleep in, so I had the place to myself this morning, which suits me just fine.
Managed to finally get to pool yesterday. I wanted to go on Sunday afternoon, but for some reason decided not to in the end and came straight home - possibly because it looked like it was going to rain. After what seems like endless rainy days it was wonderful to see the sun again yesterday - like most places Kandy is really grey when it rains.
It now looks like the protests in Bangkok have come to an end, so hopefully by the time I leave in 3 weeks things will be back to normal. It's hard to believe that a few thousand protestors could manage to close down a major international airport. It must have been complete chaos.
Last week I had some sad news. Eloise contacted me to let me know that Joe and Dirima's (Eloise's brother and sister-in-law) little boy Louis died after a major heart operation. Joe and Dirima knew before he was born that there were problems, but the doctors were extremely positive about the chances of him getting through the operation. Apparently the actual operation went well, but later in the evening his heart started to fail and in the end he couldn't be revived. My heart goes out to Joe and Dirima - they must be devestated. Death is always hard to comes to term with, but when it's a small child... Shame.
Back to work tomorrow. Thankfully the end of the term is approaching quickly - am so looking forward to a well-deserved long break!

<< Home