Time Out
Am having some well- deserved time at home this weekend after spending most of last weekend at work. Maggie and I did talk about going away, but in the end we decided that we both needed some down time.This morning I went to the Peradeniya Botanical Gardens - which are only a 15-minute drive from the house. I haven't been since Kiya was here in August and had forgotten just how stunning the gardens are. It's been very hot of late, so I left home just after 7.30. There was hardly anyone else around at that time and it was the temperature was pefect for a stroll around the gardens.
Yesterday afternoon I spent at the Citadel. I was feeling very lazy and didn't feel at all like cooking, so I had lunch there then spent the afternoon by the pool. I always end up stuffing myself there as the rice and curry buffet is fantastic - such amazing flavours. Was thinking about going for a swim this afternoon, but I have e-mails to write and actually, I don't really feel like leaving the house again.
Last weekend I'd agreed to give a workshop to a group of local teachers, so even though I was exhausted from examining on Monday, I went in to work on Tuesday. It's a lot of extra work in a way, but the teachers who come to the workshops are so enthusiastic and it's a great feeling to be able to do something for the community. On Saturday I did story time in the library as well, so I've had a very busy couple of weeks.
Strangely enough I've also had quite a busy social calendar. Last Thursday evening I went to see a music and dance performance at the Hindu Cultural Centre with some friends and on Friday there was an event on at the British Council - Shakespeare's Kings and Clowns. We didn't have much time to promote the event, but in the end we had a fantastic turnout. The new manager is very enthusiastic about having events, so hopefully this is the first of many more.
Not long now until the end of term. Am getting very excited about my trip to Cambodia and catching up with Mandy again. I have 3 days in Bangkok at the very beginning of the trip, but will spend the rest of the time in Cambodia. It'll be interesting to see if the economic crisis has had any effect on the number of people travelling.
The economic crisis has actually been a good thing for me as the rupee has strengthened dramatically against most major currencies. I don't know how long it'll last, but while it does I'm trying to send as much money back to Australia as I can. This month I'll have finished off paying back the loan I took out for the car, so I should be able to save even more money.
Have been reading a book called Monkfish Moon - a collection of short stories by Sri Lankan writer, Romesh Gunasekera. The book was published in 1992 at the height of the conflict and captures beautifully life at the time for Sri Lankans both here and living abroad. Before I came to Sri Lanka I had no idea just how large the diaspora was - a shame that so many people have felt the need to leave such a beautiful place.
The conflict in the north is getting worse day-by-day. According to the government a major town in the north was captured by the army the other day. It's hard to know exactly what's going on though as there is no media access and both sides play down the number of dead and injured. I still sometimes can't quite believe that a major conflict is taking place so close to where I live. One of the paradoxes of living here.

<< Home