Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Knuckles Knoel

Am feeling quite tired this evening, despite having a very relaxing weekend. I blame the bloody mosquito which woke me up at 5 o'clock this morning with its incessant buzzing!

Had a great weekend. Yesterday Maggie and I had breakfast with Ava and a friend of hers, Marlise, then drove up to Rangala in the Knuckles Range, where a friend of Ava's has a boutique guesthouse. As we'd stuffed ourselves silly on Danish pastries at breakfast, we basically spend the afternoon by the pool enjoying the stunning views and talking to Anthony, the owner. Would definitely like to try and stay a night or two up there as there are some great walks through the surrounding tea estates and Anthony is a great host.

Today I treated myself to lunch at the Citadel as I ended up spending most of the morning having Mr. Sunny fixed. Nothing major, but it took a couple of hours to get everything done. as someone had to go out to get some part. I bumped into Ava and Marlise at the Citadel and ended up having lunch with them.
Was hoping to have a nap after lunch before having a swim, but two guys were digging a hole in the garden near the pool to repair a broken pipe and were making a lot of noise. Typical!

Over the past week Maggie and I have been watching Brideshead Revisited, which Maggie borrowed from a friend when she was down in Colombo recently. I last watched it when I was at university. Kirsten and I had a deal - I would help her with economics and in return I could watch Brideshead with her, which she'd recorded from the TV.
Hard to believe that it's been 16 years since I finished university!

Had a very busy week at work last week as I had to cover a class on Friday afternoon, which meant I ended up teaching for 7 1/2 hours. Was exhuasted by the end of the day and I think I'm still recovering really. Next Monday I have IELTS and on Tuesday I've volunteered to do a teacher training workshop, so I'm going to have a very busy couple of weeks.


As I write this people across the US are voting. If the rest of the world could vote Obama would be sure winner. Let's just hope that the majority of Americans see sense and vote for someone who might make a difference.