Monday, September 06, 2004

Spring Weather

Lian is probably not going to forgive me for this, but I'm going to talk about the weather again. Very strange weather at the moment here in Sydney. Yesterday (Sunday) there were massive hailstorms across a lot of the city, which left Bondi beach looking like it was covered in snow. I was actually out at Watson's Bay (a beautiful place to visit by the way!) at the time I could see the dark clouds over the city but where I was the sun was still shining. I caught the ferry back to the city and as it neared Circular Quay the hail started. As I was waiting for the train home the hail became heavier and heavier. It was really beautiful - especially as the sun was shining at that point. More hailstorms later on in the evening as well - was at home watching 'Amelie' on TV and listening to the sounds of the hailstones on the roof.
I have to say that Circular Quay station is definitely a 'station with a view'. There aren't many places where you can be waiting for a train with views of all the ferries coming and going and such iconic structures as the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge.
Am still at work at the moment - somehow ended up on the graveyard shift supervising students in the computer lab from 4.30-5.30pm. Gives me time to check my mail I suppose. I actually intended to do all that this morning, but because of the storms yesterday the server was down and we had to wait for everything to be restored. Meant I had to do some work.
Friday evening I went to see an interesting, if somewhat difficult Australian film called 'Tom White'. It was all about this middle-aged man who suddenly finds life too much and abandoning his wife and children ends up on the streets. A very interesting character study although there were moments where I felt it was a little forced.
Saturday I had my usual lunch - phad kee mao (stir fried rice noodles with chilli and basil) - at Newtown Thai then went for a walk over near the zoo on the North Shore. Pretty much a typical Saturday. There are so many great places to go walking in Sydney (and lots of great views).
OK - time to go home...