Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Australia Day

Yes, it’s that time of the year again when the media tries to make us all feel proud to be Australian. Shame Australia Day commemorates the day which marks the beginning of the end for the indigenous people of this country. This year I purposefully chose to have a very quiet day – had lunch here at home then later in the afternoon went with Qurban to visit Anina and – for the first time – young Mia. Mother and daughter (Mario was at work) are both doing well and it was great to see Anina. Hadn’t seen Qurban either for quite some time so it was great to finally catch up with him as well.

Have had a fairly quiet few days off and have actually been sleeping a lot better this week. Moreno arrived back in Sydney on Monday (after a longer than anticipated stay in Melbourne) so he’s been keeping me entertained. He went off to the beach today and quite likely will go to see the fireworks in Darling Harbour on his way home. I could go, but I have to be up at 6 tomorrow as I’m back at work.

Watched two DVDs yesterday. The first one was an Indian film that a few people have recommended to me, ‘Mr and Mrs Iyer’ – about a south Indian, orthodox Brahmin and a Bengali Muslim photographer travelling on their way from one of the hill stations in north-eastern India to Kolkatta who find themselves in the midst of communal fighting and in order to survive pretend to be married. Thought provoking and made me want to go back to India.

The second film I saw was by one of my favourite directors, Pedro Almodóvar. I actually saw ‘Hable con Ella (Talk to Her)’ at the cinema with Moreno when he first came to Sydney 2 years ago, but the other day I saw it at the video store and decided to watch it again. It’s a beautiful film – not quite as good as ‘All About my Mother’ but still excellent. Am looking forward to his ‘new’ film, which is finally getting a release her in March, ‘Bad Education’.

Have just had a message from Moreno and as I predicted he’s going to see the fireworks. He wanted to know if I wanted to join him, but I can’t be bothered. Fireworks are fireworks. Will stay at home and listen to Faye Wong instead. Moreno was seeing this Malaysian guy in Melbourne, who got him onto Faye Wong. I love the cover she did of the Cranberries song – 夢中人in Chinese – the one that was in ‘Chungking Express’. It’s very difficult to translate the title into English as I only know what the characters mean – literally dream middle person (???). I always find it strange that I can understand what the characters mean in Chinese, but can’t understand the full meaning and can’t pronounce them.

Anyway I’m just rambling now. Time to do some reading before bed.