Sunday, June 19, 2005

Films, films, films 4

A very overcast Sunday morning here in Sydney. Was hoping to sleep in a little as I didn't get in until quite late last night, but of course I was awake at 7! Haven't been out much this week because of the film festivale, so I think I'm going to out for a walk. I'm seeing two films today, but not until this evening, so I have lots of time.

Saw three really interesting and very different films yesterday and I suppose that's the beauty of a film festivale - the eclectic mix of films.

Shake Hands With the Devil: the Journey of Romeo Dallaire
This was a very disturbing documentary about the genocide in Rwanda in 1994 seen through the eyes of Romeo Dallaire who was the commander of the UN peacekeeping force that was sent to Rwanda. Like the rest of the world I know very little about what happened in Rwanda, so this film was a real eye-opener and a disturbing idictment of the inaction of the world community. It was also a very personal film as Dallaire still blames himself for his inability to do more despite being completely hamstrung by the bureaucracy of the UN and lack of international support. In some of the interviews Dallaire was extremely scathing of the UN and also of Belgium, France and Italy in particular. All three countires sent in troops to evacuate their nationals, but refused to supply any troops to support the UN contingent and possibly prevent the deaths of 800,000 people. Belgium actually provided troops at the beginning, but when 10 Belgian soldiers were killed the rest of the Belgian contingent was withdrawn. The sad thing of course is that the same thing could very easily happen again - particular in Africa which has little or no strategic value for the world's powers. Amazing that the US (and others, including Australia, unfortunately) can send 250,000 troops and pour huge amounts of money into Iraq, yet stood by while 800,000 black people were being killed.

5 x 2
So different from the previous film - a look at relationships and the events which lead to realionships to fail. Although I disliked both of the main characters in the film, I really liked the way in which the director - Francois Ozon - started from the end of the relationship and worked backwards. There was a lot that was left unexplained, which my friend Moreno didn't like, but which I really liked. The short before this film Handicap was hilarious.

You and Me and Everyone We Know
A very quirky and very funny look at relationships in suburban America by American performance artist Miranda July. Great characters and some sometimes shocking, yet hilariously funny moments.

OK - I need to get ready if I'm going to go out. By the way if anyone wants to know more about the films I've been writing about go to www.sydneyfilmfestival.org