Films, film, films
Three films down - seventeen more to go. Have just been working out logistically how I'm going to organise my life this week. I'm going to see three films today and have a film every night this week - as well as work and Moreno arriving back in Sydney from Melbourne this evening. A logistical nightmare. It's been fun though and it's a great buzz being at a film festival. The three films I've been to so far have been sold out and it seems like the festival is even more popular than ever. OK - some quick reviews of the films I've seen.
Trilogy, the Weeping Meadow
A very beautiful and poignant film by Greek director Theo Angelopoulos. However, I found it overly long and at times confusing. I felt like I would have understood it better had I known more about Greek history. Many of the events in the film seemed to be metaphors for the events that unfolded in Greece on the first half of the twentieth century.
Oyster Farmer
Turned out that this was the Australian permiere of this very beautiful and funny new Australian film by Australian/NZ director Anna Reeve's, set on the Hawkesbury River, just north of Sydney. I really enjoyed it. Some great characters - very Australian - and beautiful to look at.
A Year Without Love
A film about a young HIV+ in Buenos Aires by a new Argentinian director Anahi Berneri. I read somewhere that it's actually based on the true story of an Argentinian writer and although I found a few of the scenes where the main protaganist went to S&M clubs difficult to watch I thought it was a very interesting film that took me into the world of this young man who is trying to come to terms with his illness and the possibilty of death.
Trilogy, the Weeping Meadow
A very beautiful and poignant film by Greek director Theo Angelopoulos. However, I found it overly long and at times confusing. I felt like I would have understood it better had I known more about Greek history. Many of the events in the film seemed to be metaphors for the events that unfolded in Greece on the first half of the twentieth century.
Oyster Farmer
Turned out that this was the Australian permiere of this very beautiful and funny new Australian film by Australian/NZ director Anna Reeve's, set on the Hawkesbury River, just north of Sydney. I really enjoyed it. Some great characters - very Australian - and beautiful to look at.
A Year Without Love
A film about a young HIV+ in Buenos Aires by a new Argentinian director Anahi Berneri. I read somewhere that it's actually based on the true story of an Argentinian writer and although I found a few of the scenes where the main protaganist went to S&M clubs difficult to watch I thought it was a very interesting film that took me into the world of this young man who is trying to come to terms with his illness and the possibilty of death.

<< Home