Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Films, films, films 2

Yes more films. I was exhausted by the time I got home last night. Only saw one film at the festival last night (with the lovely Judith) but I saw three on Monday and had a very long day at work yesterday. Luckily I'm on the afternoon schedule today, so I could have a bit of a sleep in.

Moreno arrived back in Sydney late Monday evening and is currently still asleep upstairs. I wish I could sleep like he does. Once it's light I'm awake. Last night after my film I met Moreno in King St and went to the Italian Bowl. It was supposed to open before Moreno left, so Moreno was very happy that he got to try it out.

OK - the films:

Mysterious Skin
A very confronting American film by Gregg Araki about paedophilia. There were a few scenes which were really disturbing and where I felt very uncomfortable. Very well-done though and not sensational at all.

A Day Without a Mexican
About as different from the previous film as you could get. A hilariously ironic mockumentary about all the hispanics in California disappearing and how the state deals with the loss of the people who do a lot of the work in California.

In the Battlefields
A very beautiful look at life in a middle-class family in Beirut during the civil war seen through the eyes of a twelve-year-old girl. Although the effects of the war were seen the real battles were those within the girls family. The matriach of the family - Tante Yvonne - was a classic.

Story Undone
What appeared at first to be an Iranian farce about two journalists trying to get a story about people-smuggling, turned out to be a very sad and touching film about people wanting to leave their homes in the hope of having a better life somewhere else.

Actually thinking about the film I saw last night - 'Story Undone' - it seems that John Howard's tough-stance on border protection is coming back to bite him. A member of the ruling Liberal Party is trying to introduce a private member's bill to make Australia's treatment of asylum seekers more compassionate and it looks like he has quite a bit of support within the government. There's also a report due out into some of the errors committed by the Immigration Department and according to reports in the newspapers on the weekend it seems that the report will be very damning of the current system. About bloody time is all I can say.