Films, films, films 5
Five more films to see - including two this evening. It's been a long, but enjoyable two weeks. Although I've loved seeing lots of fantastic films at the same time I'll be glad when the festival is over - I have quite a bit of sleep to catch up on. The last two weeks at work have been really busy as well, as the course I've been teaching for the past 8 weeks is nearing the end, which means lots of marking and admin stuff. Should be all done by tomorrow though, so I can relax after that.
Since I last posted I've seen three films, so I'll write a little about each of them.
A Way of Life
A depressing look at racism and poverty in contemporary urban society by a first-time director. Apparently it won a number of BAFTAs last year and I can see why as it was a very powerful film with some great acting. Very disturbing, but an impressive piece of film-making.
Ushpizin
A very funny and ultimately quite moving Isaraeli film about an orthodox Jewish couple who take in two guests, who turn out to have escaped from jail during a religious festival. After the previous film this was a very welcome change of pace and a beautiful look at a couple trying to follow their believes despite their faith being tested.
Buffalo Boy
This Vietnamese film reminded me a lot of Himalaya (or Caravan as it was known in Nepal). Very beautifully shot and a very nostalgic look at a traditional way of life that has probably largely disappeared.
Am actually running out of time as I'm writing this at work and need to close up the computer room. There doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to do everything that needs to be done.
Since I last posted I've seen three films, so I'll write a little about each of them.
A Way of Life
A depressing look at racism and poverty in contemporary urban society by a first-time director. Apparently it won a number of BAFTAs last year and I can see why as it was a very powerful film with some great acting. Very disturbing, but an impressive piece of film-making.
Ushpizin
A very funny and ultimately quite moving Isaraeli film about an orthodox Jewish couple who take in two guests, who turn out to have escaped from jail during a religious festival. After the previous film this was a very welcome change of pace and a beautiful look at a couple trying to follow their believes despite their faith being tested.
Buffalo Boy
This Vietnamese film reminded me a lot of Himalaya (or Caravan as it was known in Nepal). Very beautifully shot and a very nostalgic look at a traditional way of life that has probably largely disappeared.
Am actually running out of time as I'm writing this at work and need to close up the computer room. There doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to do everything that needs to be done.

<< Home