Thursday, July 21, 2005

Indulgence

Had a lovely afternoon with the very lovely Ms. Suzanne and the very cute two-and-a-half month-old Luca yesterday. It's the first time I've caught up with Suzanne since Luca was born and we had a very indulgent afternoon in Suzanne's north-facing (ie warm) sunroom, watching the world go by outside and enjoying fresh gelato from the ever-wonderful Gelatomassi (which I got on the way). Much better than being at work! My boss actually called me yesterday morning (at 7.30!) to see if I would fill in for someone who'd called in sick, but the last thing I felt like doing yesterday was going in to work. Very lazy of me I know, but I just wasn't in the mood for it. Anyway - I'd already planned to catch up with Suzanne and Luca - much more important than teaching some class I don't know.

Had a great time down in Canberra - despite the bitterly cold weather. Strangely enough it was warmer in Kirsten and Jon's house than it is in mine. These old terraces are freezing in winter and impossible to heat. Sofie is very cute and loved having me around as an extra adult to read to her. Saturday morning she had me read six books in a row to her! She has quite a wide vocabulary now and it's amazing how much she's grown in the few short months since I last saw her. She loves going to the local cafe for her babyccino - very cute.

Saturday afternoon we decided to go to see the National Sculpture Prize exhibition at the National Gallery. Some very interesting works (if anyone's interested in seeing some of them check out the National Gallery's website: www.nga.gov.au) - particularly one piece called Floribots, which Sofie found fascinating and I could have stood looking at for hours: a field of mechanical flowers!

Not long until my trip. Got myself a guidebook and have a vauge idea of some places I'd like to go to. Don't really have a plan as such, although I am hoping to be in Kandy, up in the hills, for the Esala Perahera - a 10-day festival that's supposed to be amazing. There's a lot to see in Sri Lanka - too much even for a four-week trip.

Time to organise some dinner. I'll be updating my blog regularly while I'm on the road, so if you're interested in finding out where I am and what I'm up to this is the place to find out.