Sunday Afternoon
A perfect Sunday afternoon. A wondeful Satyajit Ray film at the Art Gallery of NSW, a leisurely stroll through the Botanical Gardens with Judith and to top it off gelato. Can't get much better really. Now I'm just waiting for the Lisa to finish in the kitchen so I can make alu gobi and daal.
The film I saw today was Charulata, which was made in 1964, and actually I have to say that I prefered this over The Music Room, which I saw a few weeks ago. The music and dance sequences in The Music Room were fantastic, but I didn't identify with the characters. In Charulata the characters were more developed and I wanted to know what happened to them. Great camerawork as well. Judith was a little tired and admitted at the end that she'd fallen asleep, but I was transfixed by what was going on on the screen. On Wednesday evening I'm going to see Deepa Mehta's Earth, which I've seen before, but only on DVD. Unfortunately it's the last film in this series of Indian films, although in a way that's a good thing as I wouldn't be here to see any other films if there were more.
I had a bit of an odd day yesterday as I was feeling a bit flat. Had a very long chat to my friend Kiya in Melbourne though, which cheered me up. We ended up being on the phone for over 2 hours. This morning I finally managed to speak to Phanindra as well, so it's been a bit of a weekend for catching up with people. Phanindra wants me to meet her in Berlin in October - it's very tempting - although I'm not sure my boss would be too happy if I came back and announced that I was off to Europe!!! If only I were independently wealthy...
The film I saw today was Charulata, which was made in 1964, and actually I have to say that I prefered this over The Music Room, which I saw a few weeks ago. The music and dance sequences in The Music Room were fantastic, but I didn't identify with the characters. In Charulata the characters were more developed and I wanted to know what happened to them. Great camerawork as well. Judith was a little tired and admitted at the end that she'd fallen asleep, but I was transfixed by what was going on on the screen. On Wednesday evening I'm going to see Deepa Mehta's Earth, which I've seen before, but only on DVD. Unfortunately it's the last film in this series of Indian films, although in a way that's a good thing as I wouldn't be here to see any other films if there were more.
I had a bit of an odd day yesterday as I was feeling a bit flat. Had a very long chat to my friend Kiya in Melbourne though, which cheered me up. We ended up being on the phone for over 2 hours. This morning I finally managed to speak to Phanindra as well, so it's been a bit of a weekend for catching up with people. Phanindra wants me to meet her in Berlin in October - it's very tempting - although I'm not sure my boss would be too happy if I came back and announced that I was off to Europe!!! If only I were independently wealthy...

<< Home