Thursday, June 08, 2006

In Belgium

It's been a while since my last post and since last writing I've changed countries and am now in Belgium visiting Philip and Denis. A few weeks ago they moved into their new house in Liege (which is 90km east of Bruxelles for those whose Belgian geogrqphy is not up to scratch!) so I have a completely new part of Belgium to explore. Their new house is beautiful and has amazing views over the city (the picture is of the view from upstairs) but does need a lot of work.
The centre of Liege is not that big, so I've already seen quite a lot in the few days I've been here. Speaking French of course makes it a lot easier. Philip and Denis both work (still in Bruxelles at the moment) so I've been pretty much left to my own devices. Today I went to see the new Sophia Coppola film 'Marie Antoinette', which was shown at Cannes this year. I really enjoyed it and enjoyed going to the cinema again - the first time I've been to the cinema since I left Australia.
The last few days in the UK was basically spent with family - visited Durham (a beautiful city)with one of my aunts and took my Grandma out for lunch with my cousin Lisa. Despite growing up in Australia, which meant that I never got to see that much of my family (which some people might think is a good thing), I'm quite close to a lot of my family and it was great to spend some time with them. My Grandma in particular was very happy to see me again.
It's getting late and I'm off on a two-day trip to Antwerpen tomorrow, so I'd better go to bed fairly soon. More in a few days.