Monday, June 12, 2006

Summer Days

I only have a few days left here in Belgium, which is a real pity as I’m really enjoying being here and don’t really feel like going back to the UK and in particular going back to work. The summer weather definitely helps – the weather has been perfect.

Yesterday Philip and Denis took me to Denis’ family’s country house in the Ardennes, south of Liege. Denis’ Mum and his grandparents were there as well so it was a bit of a family get together. It was all very civilized – cake and tea, followed by a walk in the forest and dinner at a pizzeria in a nearby village. The late evenings make it perfect for outdoor eating. The only negative was the tick that Philip discovered this morning – yuck !!!

The exhibition on Saturday evening was a little disappointing – especially for Anne – Denis’ sister – who discovered that the organisers had completely stuffed up the installation of her video; the sound was terrible, there were problems with the colour and worst of all it was hidden in a corner, which meant that nobody actually realised it was there. Still the beach that had been created under the railway bridge was cool. After checking out the exhibition we had dinner with Anne in the centre of Bruxelles so by the time we got back to Liege it was very late.

I actually seem to be having lots of late nights, which is a bit of a problem as I’m always awake early as well. I generally wake up as soon as it’s light and given that it’s light by 5am the late nights are starting to take their toll. It’s a hard life!!!