Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Back in Sri Lanka

My first post from Sri Lanka since arriving on Saturday. Dhanushka has been living in Kandy since I left as he's doing a hospitality course. He's been renting a room off a family here, so I'm staying here as well. We were going to find some guesthouse, but in the end it was easier to stay here - and much cheaper. There's not much privacy but the family are really nice and it's good for my Sinhala, which is slowly coming back to me.

The flight was fine, although I was very tired by the time I got to Colombo. I don't like overnight flights, particularly when flying east as the time difference means you never really get enough sleep. Dhanushka was at the airport waiting for me when I arrived and instead of going into Colombo we deciced to stay in Negombo instead as it's not far from the airport and I didn't feel like going very far after the flight.

On Sunday we caught a bus to Kandy and yesterday I went to the Dalada Maligawa (Temple of the Tooth) after Dhanshka left for his class. Today I've been very lazy and haven't done anything as such. I'm feeling a little tired actually - have done a lot of travelling over the last month.

It's strange suddenly being back in Sri Lanka after 6 months in Europe. I'd completely forgotten about the noise and the chaos! Am glad we decided not to spend the night in Colombo - the chaos here in Kandy is nothing compared to in Kandy. It's a little cool at night here, but a lot warmer than it was in Europe - although I forgot just how hot it can get in the middle of the day. I was getting a bit tired of the cold in Europe.

Dhanushka and I are planning on going to his village on the weekend, but it depends when his class finishes on Friday as if he finishes late it'll be too late to catch a bus to his village as it's four hours from here. Am looking forward to seeing his family again though and he told me that everyone is excited about seeing me again. Dhanushka's course finishes on the 24th, so we have time after that to do a little travelling before I head back to Australia.

I haven't taken any pictures since I arrived, so instead I've posted one I took with Erica and her son Shozo on my web-cam. Erica and I had quite an adventure on Friday. As she was parking her car she managed to puncture one of the tyres (which was in bad condition according to the guy at the garage). I tried changing the tyre, but unfortunately the wheel nuts were too short for the spare, so we ended up rolling the tyre up the street to the garage, which Shozo thought was great! It already seems like such a long time ago.

Dhanushka and I have been talking about the best thing for us to do and we've decided that I should apply for a job with the British Council. The application is due on Monday, so I need to start working what I'm going to write. I hate doing job applications as there's so much bullshit involved. If I want to get a job in Sri Lanka though the British Council is definitely the place to work though.