Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Visitor

A Tuesday evening (my ‘Sunday’) at home listening to the sound of the river in the distance. Dhanushka is introducing Kiya to the delights of his favourite HIndi dramas, so I thought I’d quickly write a something.

Kiya arrived on Saturday morning – our first overseas visitor. It’s been great having her here and showing her around Kandy. Today we walked along the river to Peradeniya (which is 5km by road from Kandy) and visited the famous botanical gardens there. Walking was definitely a much more pleasurable way of getting there and actually something I might do on my days off if I have nothing else planned. The botanical gardens are very peaceful – a veritable oasis – and as I’m a resident I don’t have to pay the ridiculous foreigner price, which means I pay the same as Sri Lankans, basically a negligible amount.

Last night Dhanushka was working, so I cooked, but most of the time Dhanushka has been cooking. He’s a great cook and although I’m not bad I’m not as creative as he is – and of course am quite happy to be cooked for!!!

Work was pretty full on last week. The most difficult thing is getting me head around having so many different classes as I’m used to having just the two classes each week in Australia. Planning far in advance is not one of my strong points, but something that I’m going have to do more often if I’m going to cope. This Sunday is a public holiday, so I only have 4-day week. Kiya is here until next Thursday, so Sunday the three of us are planning on heading off somewhere for the day – possibly renting a car and a driver.

Dhanushka and I are now the proud owners of two fish. I mentioned to Dhanushka last week that I thought we should get some fish, so when he and Kiya were out on Sunday they picked up a beautiful terracotta bowl and on the way home we stopped off at a pet shop and bought two goldfish. Unfortunately we found one dead the next morning, but today on the way home from Peradeniya Kiya and I picked up another one, both of whom seem very happy at the moment swimming around.

Definitely time for bed. Kiya and I walked a lot today and I’m starting to fade. Have to be up at 6 tomorrow morning as well.