An Unexpected Road Trip
Winding down at home after another busy day at work. It’s great having somewhere so peaceful to come back to. Our house is down a small lane off the road, so we don’t get any traffic noise. In fact the only sounds most of the time are the sound of the river in the distance and the birds.Kiya left this afternoon. Her flight is at 5.30 tomorrow morning, so she’s staying the night in Negombo, which is very close to the airport. It was great having her here and she enjoyed a break from the Emirates, which sounds like a pretty crazy place. She was supposed to be going down to Galle (and at one point I was planning on going with her) on the south coast, but late Monday evening, after I’d already gone to bed, Kiya and Dhanushka decided that the three of us should visit his family. So, Monday morning we rented a car with a driver and set off for Polonnaruwa, where Dhanushka’s family live.
It was good to see Dhanushka’s family again, although I think Kiya may have found it a little overwhelming. As always we were plied with food, fruit and sweets – it’s impossible to refuse. We didn’t end up getting to the village until quite late on Monday, partly because it took us a while to find a car and a driver at short notice, but also because we had a flat tyre, which took some time to repair. In many ways it would have been easier to go by bus, but we wanted to stop off at some places on the way, so it made more sense to have our own transport. It’s not so expensive to rent a car with a driver.
I really didn’t feel like going to work this morning, but somehow I managed to get myself out of bed. The valley was full of mist this morning and when I got into the town I ended up wandering around taking photographs the light was so beautiful. Tomorrow I don’t have class until the afternoon, but I’ll probably go in fairly early so I can prep for the rest of my classes this week – and deal with some admin stuff.
The goldfish are doing swimmingly – I love sitting here watching them swim around in their bowl when I get home from work.

<< Home