Poson Poya
Back in Kandy after a lightning visit to Polonnaruwa. It was kind of crazy in some ways going there just for the night, but Dhanushka's Grandmother wanted to see me before we left for Europe and I haven't been to his village since the New Year in April. I left at Kandy at 5.30 yesterday morning and was there by 8.30 - not bad going. There's very little traffic at that time of the morning and because it was poya yesterday there was even less traffic. It was a lot busier coming back to Kandy today - somehow coming back to Kandy always seems to take longer!
Dhanushka's Mum and Dad are with us and are coming with us to Negombo tomorrow. They're going to take the car while we're away and are going to repair the damage. I only just got the money today from the owner of the jeep that crashed into me - the funny thing is Dhanushka's Dad reckons he can get it done very cheaply, so I've ended up making a profit!
Yesterday afternoon we ended up going on a trip to a famous stupa called Somawatti. There was a lot of fighting between the military and the LTTE in that area and it's only just re-opened to the public, so there were huge crowds yesterday. The stupa is very close to the Mahaveli River - the same river that I can see from our house - and after visiting the stupa we drove further on to the river. It reminded me a lot of the Ganga in India. Getting to and from Somawatti was quite something as the road is unsealed and because of the traffic there was dust everywhere. Reminded me of driving in outback Australia.
I need to get some sleep. It was very hot in Polonnaruwa and I didn't get much sleep last night. It's great to be back in Kandy where it's relatively cool at night!!!
Am planning on buying a new camera in Dubai, so hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures soon.
Dhanushka's Mum and Dad are with us and are coming with us to Negombo tomorrow. They're going to take the car while we're away and are going to repair the damage. I only just got the money today from the owner of the jeep that crashed into me - the funny thing is Dhanushka's Dad reckons he can get it done very cheaply, so I've ended up making a profit!
Yesterday afternoon we ended up going on a trip to a famous stupa called Somawatti. There was a lot of fighting between the military and the LTTE in that area and it's only just re-opened to the public, so there were huge crowds yesterday. The stupa is very close to the Mahaveli River - the same river that I can see from our house - and after visiting the stupa we drove further on to the river. It reminded me a lot of the Ganga in India. Getting to and from Somawatti was quite something as the road is unsealed and because of the traffic there was dust everywhere. Reminded me of driving in outback Australia.
I need to get some sleep. It was very hot in Polonnaruwa and I didn't get much sleep last night. It's great to be back in Kandy where it's relatively cool at night!!!
Am planning on buying a new camera in Dubai, so hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures soon.

<< Home