Sunday, July 22, 2007

CitySonics

Our last day in Belgium and basically the end of our trip. Once everyone gets up (as usual I'm the only one up so early!) we're planning on going to the weekly market held along the banks of the river Meuse and then for a drive in the Ardennes - looks like it's going to be another beautiful day.

Yesterday we went to Mons, in western Belgium, to check out CitySonics - an annual international festival of sound art. Denis' sister is one of the participants and we spent the afternoon wandering around Mons - a small, but beautiful city - having a look at the various installations and works, which were dotted around the town in various indoor and outdoor locations. Yesterday was Belgian national day, so it was fairly quiet when we first arrived in Mons, but later in the afternoon the main square was bustling and we spent an hour sitting outside on the terrace of one of the many cafes in the main square - watching the goings on.

Our flight back leaves from Dusseldorf late tomorrow evening. As it's on the way I thought it'd be interesting to spend the day in Koeln, so we're heading to Germany early tomorrow morning - I was telling Dhanushka he'd better start practicing his German! Hopefully the weather will stay like this. On Friday there was torrential rain across a lot of northern Europe - including Liege - so the weather hasn't been that stable.

On Friday I got my timetable for this term - a brutal reminder that I'll be back at work soon. I really wish we could spend longer in Europe - there are so many places I'd like to visit. Three weeks is a long time, but it doesn't seem like enough.