Sunday, January 13, 2008

Awaiting Scooter's Arrival

Back in Canberra, hanging out with Jon, Sofie and a heavily pregnant Kirsten. Scooter, has yet to make an appearance - much to Kirsten's disgust! It's been very hot here in the heart of the nation and carrying around a 4kg plus baby in the heat is not exactly pleasant. At the moment Kirsten has been scheduled for a caesarean on the 25th (the baby is too big already for her to have a natural birth) but she's hoping that something might happen before then.

I arrived in Canberra on Friday afternoon. To vary the route a little I decided to drive down the coast as far as Wollongong then cut inland to re-join the main highway in the Southern Highlands. The scenery south of the Royal National Park is stunning - as is the drive up into the Southern Highlands from Wollongong. I have a zippy red car for my journey down to Melbourne. Am getting used to it now, but kept stalling it on Thursday afternoon when I picked it up - much more sensitive than Mr.Sunny! It was strange driving around Sydney as I never had a car when I lived in Sydney and only rarely drove there.

Yesterday Kirsten invited Justin and his wife Young Hye over for lunch. The last time I saw Justin was before I left Japan in 1997 - over 10 and a half years ago now - so we had lots of catching up to do. Meeting someone you haven't seen for so long is mind-blowing in many ways - particularly when I think about all that's happened since Justin and I last saw each other. He couldn't believe that I'm currently living in Sri Lanka.

This morning I'm heading down to Cooma to stay with Judith for a couple of days - and hopefully hike to the top of Mt.Koscuiszko - the highest point in Australia. Would like to stay in Canberra for a little longer, but I only have a week left now. I'm planning to be in Melbourne next weekend, so am trying to work out where I can stop between Cooma and Melbourne.

Most of the week in Sydney I spend catching up with friends, but I did manage to fit in a few walks, including my favourite walk from Taronga Zoo to Middle Head. It was great to see everyone again, but as always sad to say goodbye. I'm very lucky to have such good friends.

I'm the only one who's awake at the moment - which doesn't really surprise me as no-one else was up until 9 yesterday morning. I dream of being able to sleep in, but am afraid that it'll have to remain just that. I love early mornings, though - the light, the sounds...