Reality Check
Arriving back in Sri Lanka yesterday morning was a real reality check - realising that I'm back at work from Wendesday and that I have lots of DELTA work to do! While I was in Australia my intention was to do a little bit of work each day, but of course I didn't and have hardly done anything. The next couple of weeks are going to be tough!Had a great weekend in Melbourne with Lian - I can't quite believe that on Sunday night I was sitting on Acland St in St.Kilda indulging in gelato. Most of the weekend we spent either eating or deciding what we were going to eat. We did manage to fit in a film - Juno - on Saturday evening though, and also managed to check out an exhibition called Krishna: Love & Devotion at the National Gallery of Victoria. Yesterday Lian also dragged me out to one of those awful shopping malls in some far-flung suburb to pick up a suitcase for her Nan - suburban shopping malls are definitely not something I miss about Australia.
The drive down to Melbourne was ok. For some reason though I expected the Alpine Way through Kosciuszko National Park to wind its way across an alpine plateau and that there'd be lots of places I could stop to do some walking. Instead, passed Thredbo, the road very quickly descended to the Murray River valley where it was too hot to do any walking. Would love to see the mountains when there's now on them.
Beechworth was very quiet, but a good place to break the journey. I stayed in a very strange place called the Old Priory. When I checked in the woman I spoke to said that there were some other people staying that night, but it really felt like I was the only person in the place. Quite spooky in a way as there were lots of doors and long corridors. I didn't get to Beechworth until quite late, so Friday morning I had a walk around the town the next morning then set off for Melbourne. I didn't want to be trying to find Lian's place during the rush hour, so I ended up arrriving in Melbourne early afternoon and went to see Ang Lee's impressive new film Lust, Caution - a film all about love and betrayal.
Didn't sleep particalarly well last night, so am hoping to sleep a little better tonight. When I arrived home yesterday afternoon I discovered that Dhanushka had managed to acquire a dog. He's been asking me if he could have a dog for some time, but because we're both so busy I told him that I didn't think it was such a good idea. I'm still not impressed about having a dog, but have agreed that the dog can stay on trial. She's lying next to me at the moment. Dhanushka is out and I thought it'd be cruel to leave her outside alone.
This morning I went into work to scan the mock exam I did while I was on holiday and to quickly check my e-mail. Ended up being at work for much longer than I'd anticipated though as I have some IELTS marking to do and of course during the course of the day various people kept coming up to the staff room, which made it very difficult to get any work done. I can't say I'm looking forward to being back at work tomorrow - I feel like I need a week to get over my holiday! Back to reality!

<< Home