Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Top of Australia

Feeling a little sore this morning after an 18km return hike to the summit of Mt. Kosciuszko - Australia's highest peak - yesterday with Judith and Ben. The Snowy Mountains are not the Himalaya, but the views were stunning and it was great to be out walking - something I've always loved.

We didn't set off from Cooma until mid-morning, so by the time we got to the trail head at Charlotte's Pass it was early afternoon. We saw quite a few people coming down, but by the time we got to the summit we had the roof of Australia to ourselves, which was pretty amazing. Kosciuszko itself is somewhat of an anti-climax as it's just a bump and for the most of the walk is hidden behind another ridge. The landscape is amazing though and because we didn't get to the summit until late afternoon the light was perfect. Would love to see the Snowys in winter.

Heading to Victoria tomorrow through Kosciuszko National Park via the Alpine Way. It's possible to get from here to Melbourne in a day, but I've decided to stay in the old gold mining town of Beechworth tomorrow night so that I don't have to do too much driving. I'd rather take it slowly and having all day to get to Beechworth means I'll be able to fit in a few short walks tomorrow.

There are so many birds here - as I'm writing this I can see a huge sulphar-crested cockatoo right outside the window and a few minutes ago there were about 5 parrots. Judith and Ben are still asleep - neither of them are early risers like me!

Hard to believe that the trip is nearly over. It's been great catching up with everyone and although I still feel a little sad that Dhanushka decided to go back, it's still been a great trip. Back to work next week!!!