Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sorry

Just over 3 months ago who would have believed that the federal parlianment in Australia would be offering an apology to the indigenous people of Australia for the suffering they have endured at the hand of succesive governments. Today really is a momentous day in Australia's history - hopefully also the beginning of a better relationship between indigenous and non-indigenous Australians, a relationship built on trust and a recognition of the wrongs of the past.

Here in Kandy it's also been a fairly momentous day as unfortunately Dhanushka and I have decided to go our seperate ways. Things between us haven't been that good since I got back from Australia and despite trying to attempt some kind of reconciliation last week I decided that enough is enough and told Dhanushka that I thought it was better if we split up. He has taken it really badly, which is sad. I'm very sad about what's happened, but we weren't happy together. We have some good memories and I really hope that once we've had some time to think things through that we can remain friends. It's strange to see the room where Dhanushka had his things so empty - I know it'll take time for the wounds to heal.

It's been a really difficult week trying to juggle the emotional turmoil, work and the DELTA. I had a draft due on Sunday, but managed to get an extension, which was much needed as I was finding it really difficult to get my head around things. Am feeling Ok about this assignment and am hoping that I can concentrate more on what I'm doing now that I don't have to worry about relationship issues.

Things seem to have quietened down somewhat here in Sri Lanka since the incidents that too place last week. Unfortunately the military is bombarding parts of the north, so everyone is expecting reprisals. There's a total blackout on reporting from the north, so no-one really goes what's going on. As in all conflicts the first casualty is the truth.

The dog is still with me. I wouldn't let Dhanushka give her back to the people who had her and would rather she stay with me until Dhanushka can work out what he wants to do. She obviously has some idea about what's been going on as this evening I got back a little late and she pissed on the floor downstairs. Poor thing is probably really confused. She's lying in the hallway outside my room at the moment - her favourite place in the evening. Funny how it's ended up just me, a dog and 4 fish!!!