Sunday, February 03, 2008

National Day

Tomorrow is the 60th anniversary of Sri Lanka's independence from Britain, but given what has happened this weekend I'm not sure that many people will be celebrating.

Yesterday in Dambulla - about 1 1/2 hours north of Kandy - a bomb tore apart a bus full of piligrims heading from Kandy to Anuradhapura, killing 18 people. This morning a grenade attack injured a number of people at the Colombo Zoo. Then just before I went into class this afternoon we got news that a suicide bomber had blown herself up at the main Colombo train station, killing 11 people and injuring over 100. Although Kandy hasn't been a target as of yet, everyone is worried that something might happen tomorrow and everyone has been telling me that I should avoid going into the town tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm examining...

It's just me and the dog at home this evening. She's lying on the floor at the moment, but has been bugging me every so often. I'm a little annoyed because despite Dhanushka's reassurances that I wouldn't have to look after her, he's actually been out a lot. I don't want to give her back to the people who Dhanushka got her off as apparently they weren't treating her very well, but at the same time if Dhanushka is not going to look after her, she has to go. Although she's a bit crazy at times, I have grown fond of her - I just don't have the time to look after her.

Today I decided to go for a swim between classes. On Sundays I have a class in the morning until 11.30 then have a break until 3. I usually stay at work, but inevitably I get very little work done, so instead I decided to get out of the office. There aren't many places to go in Kandy, so the pool seemed a good option. Bumped into a few people I know there and as one of my colleagues was having lunch with a friend, I managed to score a few cakes that she snuck into her bag!

Have made a start on my next assignment - trying to make sure I don't have lots to do right at the end. I also have to start work on my extended assignment. Only 4 more months!!!