Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Another Busy Weekend

It's been a couple of weeks now since I last wrote. I haven't had much of a weekend again this week as yesterday I was examining and this afternoon I gave a workshop to a group of teachers. I'm actually exhausted - am so happy that it's the last week of the term as I could really do with the break.

I'm planning on driving up to Trincomalee on the north-east coast during the break. The beaches there are supposed to be beautiful and now that the security situation is better up there I thought I should take the opportunity to visit a part of the island that has been pretty much off-limits for the past couple of years.

Unfortunately the fighting in the north has intensified. It's hard to actually know exactly what's going on as the military has prevented journalists from reporting from the conflict areas. It doesn't sound good though as the government has just asked the UN and other NGOs to leave the area, which makes me think that the military is about to launch a major objective. I still can't quite get my head around the fact that major fighting is taking place just over 200km from where I live.

Last weekend Maggie and I had a few people around for lunch - a housewarming so to speak. The weather here has been wonderful for the past week so it was a perfect day to enjoy the beautiful garden. I'm not a fan of large gatherings, so having a few people over for lunch was perfect. I'm so happy in this new place - am feeling much more positive about things now and despite the stress of having to move, am actually glad that my situation has changed. It's made such a difference.