Happy Eid
Eid Mubarak! Although yesterday was a public holiday here in Sri Lanka, I was at work all day placement testing for the new term. Next term is the busiest term, so I've agreed to do 3 days of placement testing. It's not as tiring as teaching as there's no prep, but by the end of yesterday I was exhausted. When I got home in the afternoon though, one of our neighbours had made some watalappam (a kind of coconut custard) for us to celebrate the end of Ramadan, which was very kind of her. Maggie is not so keen on it, so I'll probably end up eating most of it myself.Off to Trinco tomorrow morning! Ruth is coming up from Colombo today and we're hoping to set off quite early to avoid the heat. Apparently it takes about 4 hours from Kandy. The road is in very good condition most of the way and if we leave early enough we'll miss the crazy school traffic.
Although it's still quite cool in the mornings, even here in Kandy it's been very hot during the day. On Monday Maggie and I decided to go out to the Victoria Golf Club for lunch and a swim. We didn't end up leaving until after 11, as we had no electricity when we woke up on Monday morning, so by the time we got out there it was baking. Beautiful setting and the pool was stunning, but I'm not sure if I'd go out there again. It was good to get out of Kandy for the day though.
While we were out at the golf club Pamela and Sascha called to ask us if we wanted to join them at their place for a small get together, so we ended up having a vey busy day. Pamela and Sascha are off to the Maldives this morning. Although it's expensive I'd love to visit the Maldives at some point. It's not really somewhere I'd like to go to alone though.
I suppose I should think about getting ready. Another day of placement testing ahead of me today - hopefully we won't finish too late and I'll have time to go for a swim on the way home!

<< Home