Trinco Trip
Back in Kandy after a wonderful week away. Nilaveli - where we stayed - was wonderful and although I'm not a beach person as such, it was great to spend 3 days by the sea relaxing. The hotel was right on the beach and as there weren't many guests because of the security situation we pretty much had the place to ourselves apart from Sri Lanka day-trippers on Saturday. Apart from lazing by the beach and the pool Ruth and I went into Trinco itself one afternoon and with another BC teacher, who turned up the day after we arrived, went on a snorkelling trip to an island just off the coast. Trinco was very quiet as we went on Sunday, but the setting is stunning and because of the Tamil influence it had a very different feel to it.There was a very heavy military presence on the road up to Trinco and we were stopped a number of times. Most of the time we were waved on as soon as the police/soldiers realised that there were only foreigners in the car, but a couple of times I had to produce my licence and on the way back to Kandy at the check-point just before Habarana, I had to drive the car over the pits so that they police could check underneath. Driving up to Trinco I found the military precence disconcerting, but after a few days I started to get used to it, which is frightening. It must be really hard for the locals though and travelling by public transport is a real nightmare as everyone has to get off the bus as every check-point.
On the way back to Kandy we spend a night at Cinnamon Lodge, a hotel in Habarana that I've stayed at with Mandy and Kiya. Unfortunately the famous dessert room wasn't in operation as there weren't so many guests that night, but the chocolate chip whatever it was that I ordered was delicious. It's a bit of a splurge staying at Cinnamon Lodge, but well worth it.
Last night and Tuesday night I stayed with Dhanushka's family. I was only planning on staying for one night originally, but decided that they'd probably get upset if I tried to leave after only one night, so as it's only 3 hours back to Kandy from there, I decided to stay for one more night. It was great seeing everyone again, but it's hard in many ways as of course being with Dhanushka's family brings back so many memories. They enjoy my visits though, and I enjoy seeing them.
The new term starts tomorrow. I have pretty much the same timetable as last term, so I'm pretty happy. Apparently all the classes are full, which will mean lots of marking...what to do?

<< Home