Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Day Tripping

Have just finished watching I'm Not There - a film by Todd Haynes about Bob Dylan. Maggie and I had any idea what was going on - particularly as neither of us knew anything about Dylan's life - yet the film was strangely engaging. In many ways it was a montage, which is perhaps why it was so difficult to follow. What struck me about Dylan throughout the film was how misunderstood he was - perhaps even by himself - and how difficult he found it to be what other people wanted and expected him to be.

As I was examining yesterday I had a somewhat truncated weekend. However, a day trip to the Knuckles has at least given me a sense of doing something this weekend outside of work. I've never been to the Knuckles before, despite their proximity to Kandy and was surprised just how stunning the scenery. With another friend, Annie, Maggie and I drove up to the Hunas Falls Hotel - about 25 km north-east of Kandy. Archictecturally the hotel is nothing special, but the views from the hotel and the surrounding area were amazing and from a small peak nearby that we walked to there were views all the way to Kandy and beyond.

I have a feeling this week is going to be very busy. The financial crisis has seen the Australian dollar lose value against the rupee, so tomorrow I want to go to the bank to send some money back to Australia. I wanted to go today, but because it was poya the banks were closed. I've already sent some money from my bank account in the UK, so am doing very well. I'm very lucky being able to save money as well as have a good life here. Would never have been able to have this kind of lifestyle in Australia or the UK and save money at the same time.

Suppose I should think about going to bed. Am actually feeling quite tired, but at the same time quite alert. Hope it doesn't take me too long to get to sleep as I need to be up early in the morning.