Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Date with the Dentist

Have just got back from a visit to the dentist. Last night when I got home I realised that a filling was loose, so this morning I called up to see if I could get an appointement. I had visions of spending the first sunny day in well over a week hanging around a dentist surgery, but thankfully the surgery I go to is only open in the afternoon and evenings and my appointment wasn't until 7, so I could spend the whole afternoon by the pool. It's actually my own fault in many ways that the filling started to come loose as I was supposed to go back a month after I had the filling put in last year. Like many people though, I hate going to the dentist. At least here it's not very expensive - going to the dentist in Australia costs a fortune!

The weather here has been terrible for the past week and a half, so I was very happy when I woke up this morning and realised that it was going to be a beautiful, sunny day. Some areas near Colombo have had severe flooding because of the torrential rain - something we don't have to worry about here in Kandy. On Saturday though I ended up having a to walk into work as the incessant rain caused a tree to come down just round the corner from the house. The whole road was blocked and as there's no other way, walking was the only option I had. I could have caught a 3-wheeler of course, but it wasn't raining so I thought the exercise would do me good.

Apart from trying to keep dry I haven't really been up to much. Maggie and I had Nick, the new branch manager, over for lunch last week - I cooked of course! - but that's about it really. Am very busy at work as we have a lot of students this term and I've agreed to do lots of extra things as part of my job plan. I actually need to sit down and work out exactly when I'm doing the various things I've agreed to do. I'm very bad at leaving things until the last minute, so need to try and be a bit more orgainsed.

I haven't taken any photos recently, so have posted a photo I took when we went to Hunas Falls a couple of weeks ago. I quite like this particular photo - the silhouettes of the trees against the dark clouds is quite something.